How to cook Marlin ? - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 06-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #1
SPAZZ
Ifish Nate

Default How to cook Marlin ?

I have a fillet of fresh marlin and am unsure how to cook it. Any ideas? thanks-Brian

Old 06-01-2005, 05:45 PM   #2
8knots
Chromer

Default Re: How to cook Marlin ?

Try it on the grill. Kine of like shark, swordfish or tuna steaks. 10 minutes per inch of thickness.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
wthr4d
Sturgeon

Brian- Grill it!! soak it in lime juice, herbs, salt and pepper for a 1/2 hour and cook over open flame 10 min per inch (thats 5min/ side for a 1 inch peice) DONT over cook it.

For herbs I like cillantro for the baja feel, or crushed rosemary and marjoram, fresh basil and garlic is good too.

Paul

TEAM OPB and looking for chances at salmon, Halibut and Tuna!!
wthr4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
SPAZZ
Ifish Nate

Thanks guys, I have it soaking right now. I am also making sticky white rice with it. This is going to be so good. I added my own little twist to the seasonings. I added a little southwest sea food rub. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again-Brian
Old 06-01-2005, 06:30 PM   #5
crabbait
King Salmon

Can't improve on wthr4d's suggestion. Striped Marlin? Any of the halibut recipes will work but it has a firmer consistency, so grilling is hard to beat. Overcooked and it is dry and tasteless so just get 'er done and off the fire. Try to undercook and don't be surprised when the fish is a little "doner" on the plate than it was right off the grill. It seems like white fleshed fish tends to "finish" in it's own juices more than salmon.

I smoked some, too. I liked the natural flavor and didn't want to overpower it with brine, so I just seasoned and alder smoked it. Yes, the brine is a pickling preservative needed for proper long term storage, but I knew this fish was not going to be around that long.
crabbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
Billfisher
Tuna!

I brought some back from my most recent Cabo adventure, and overbrined it for the smoker :depressed: As for cooking, I drench it in olive oil and garlic, then sprinkle with fresh cracked black pepper, paprika, and salt. It is awesome! Not so hot just seared, perfect done all the way through. I hadn't cooked marlin in years, and it seems a bit like Sturgeon as far as cooking texture goes. -D

Team Stick Time!
Billfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:00 PM   #7
thats my line
Steelhead

I smoked some the other day turned out great, easy to overbrine it.
My friend likes to marinate it in a teriyaki flavor before grilling, she craves it.
thats my line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:24 PM   #8
boom_fish_on
Chromer

10 min per inch????

I don't think that sounds right to me, I like a hot pan and just a flash. When I cook tuna, marlin...I make sure that it is still raw in the middle, especially fresh, or else it turns into wood.

You gotta be able to see through your fillet from the side, Tuna and marlin don't have to get cooked...nice n' raw inside it is soft, tasty and good for you...

good luck
boom_fish_on is offline   Reply With Quote