Has anyone tried a double jig setup? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 01-12-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
Beefcake
Sturgeon

Default Has anyone tried a double jig setup?

I was at Sportsman's tonight, and I noticed a new product in the jigs. One of the companies had a jig and a drifter skirt packaged together, and the jig had two eyes on the jighead - one to tie your leader on as usual, and one on the bottom to add a dropper lure like the drifter. Has anyone tried fishing two jigs on a dropper, or tried fishing anything below a jig (bait, small spoon, or another lure)?

I don't know if I'll try this for winter steel because I try to fish the jig just off the bottom, but I may try to rig two jigs for chinook. Seems similar to what we do fly fishing, and it would give you two "strike zones" in deeper holes. Any thoughts? If you were going to try it, how would you attach the lower lure/bait/etc? Would you use a dropper knot (don't know the name) like they use for shrimp flies in the ocean? Or would you tie to the shank of the hook like you do when fly fishing nymphs? Or would you buy the one brand of jigs that has the two eyes, and then put a First Cast jig below it to actually catch the fish?

Beefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #2
NWRedside
Chromer

Default Re: Has anyone tried a double jig setup?

STS had this in their last annual steelhead edition. looked interesting, but I think I'd just lose gear at twice the rate...
NWRedside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:59 AM   #3
MaribuMonkey
Steelhead

I am a fly fisherman at heart but have recently been dabbling in the black art of spin fishing. Fly fisherman commonly use a two nymph rig with an indicator while fishing. I think the trick to not losing gear and keeping a more natural looking presentation is to tie on the heavier nymph first ("Tool Fly") and then the lighter nymph ("dropper").

I think the same theory applies for the jig/bobber double set-up. Tie on the first jig and then what to do? Don't tie the dropper to the bend of the hook because it will inhibit the jigging motion of the maribu. Tie the dropper as close to the jig eye as possible. The double Eyed jig is great for not inhibiting the motion, but if you have the single eye jig, tie it as high up on the hook shaft as possible. If you don't have the double eye jig putting a lighter drop is also a good idea so you inhibit less the maribu. I have tried double Jig set-ups and only managed to lose more jigs.

The double set-up that works best for me is a jig and then a lighter drop like a glow bug (my go to dropper). :smile:

I hope this helps a little.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:08 AM   #4
Islander
Steelhead

Hadn't thought about it for jigging. I'll have to mediate on that one.

Here's a link to my newbie story a year ago, telling about my first experience with a surface and dropper when using flies.

http://www.ifish.net/forum/showflat....amp;PHPSESSID=
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:55 AM   #5
Striper Club
Tuna!

I saw that in STS as well. It looks like it would be hot for tidewater fall chinook, but a bit snaggy while traversing smaller and faster waters.
Striper Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:45 PM   #6
SalmonSeason
Tuna!

I know David Johnson used a double jig set up in Alaska and caught two silvers at the same time...different than what you're talking about and lots of fish in the water, but still cool none the less
SalmonSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:16 AM   #7
diamondfish
Tuna!

Season,

I am sure there is more to that story than you are telling the viewers.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:13 AM   #8
SalmonSeason
Tuna!

nothing more to the story mr playing in sandbox
SalmonSeason is offline   Reply With Quote