Trolling herring with Delta Divers - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 03-15-2004, 06:44 PM   #1
Waterfish
Ifish Nate

Default Trolling herring with Delta Divers

Last week I went to Lance Fisher's springer clinic at Fisherman's Marine. Lance said that he used to troll with cut plug herring with a dropper set up like most people use. Now he uses a different technique; he uses his fish finder to see how deep the springers are running. Instead of a dropper he uses a Delta Diver and a big flasher with the herring. This has significantly improved his success ratio. Lance said that with this system he always knows exactly how deep his herring are running. This will be my first season fishing for springers. Would it make since to start out from the beginning with the Delta Diver and flasher set up, or is there a reason why most people troll herring with a dropper? Also, are Delta Divers adjustable so that you can set them to run at certain depths?

[ 03-15-2004, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Waterfish ]

Old 03-15-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
Silver Hilton
King Salmon

Default Re: Trolling herring with Delta Divers

The planers can hang up if you hit a shelf. With a sinker and a dropper, you are a little less at risk, and it's cheaper if you lose the rig.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:55 PM   #3
ANDYCOHO
Sturgeon

I normally don't troll all that fast for Springers, approx. 1.5-2mph. A Delta diver is 8oz (I believe) so it would be hanging pretty much straight down at that speed.

I like a 4oz lead on a dropper, it's pretty easy to figure out how deep your actually fishing, count how many pulls(amount of line from your reel to your first guide approx. 2') your out till you start dragging bottom, and just experiment with different pulls.

You can do the old "Fishin Mission" special and do 4oz at 14 pulls My favorite as well....

Skippering:'The Retriever' & 'ANDYCOHO'
NON-Guided Adventures!
ANDYCOHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
Beefcake
Sturgeon

This would work if you are consistently fishing deeper areas, but many of the productive spots are shallower. I am still honing in my skills at knowing how many pulls to use, but here's a trick I've been using. I started with advise on another post saying "4 oz dropper, 14 pulls". The depth that this puts your lure will depend somewhat on the speed of the boat (with the boat speed adjusted so that your line is at a 45 degree angle, this should put the lure 12-14' deep). Anyway, I put the gear out at 14 pulls, then I run along the edge of the river in gradually shallower water until I see the weight hit bottom and then check my depth finder. If 14 pulls puts me at 12', and then I see that most of the fish are cruising at 16', I just put out 4-5 more pulls and am confident that I'm in the "strike zone".
Beefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:01 PM   #5
skybuster
Ifish Nate

I've been using the Delta's and they definitely work. I would only suggest using lead if you are going to be fishing relatively shallow and want to keep your bait bouncing off the bottom.

Attach a delta to your mainline, and then attach a fish flash directly to the delta. Attach about a 4.5 foot mooching rig to the fish flash and the cut plug. I like to start at 12 pulls and space my rods out to as far as 24 pulls.

The nice thing about delta's is the faster you go the harder they dive.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:54 AM   #6
illbfish
Steelhead

You guys keep saying DELTA divers, like in the ocean. In O.C. we use the jumbo Jet divers, whats the difference?
illbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:32 AM   #7
Mark Vickers
Tuna!

When I first started fishing the Columbia, I would slow troll just a banana sinker and a herring plug. I saw a demonstration from a guide (whose name now escapes me) at GI Joes several years ago in which he advocated using a diver and flasher/dodger. Through several years of experiments, I now run the following setup most of the time:

Double Deep Six diver (6 ounce) -> 12" line -> Les Davis 0 or 00 dodger -> 48" line -> K14-K16 Kwikfish

The brands of divers don't really matter that much (Jet, Pink Lady, Delta, etc) as long as they get your stuff down to the right depth. I'll choose the colors and sizes depending on water visibility. I troll this around 1 MPH almost exclusively downstream (downhill). I'll judge the depth to run it at based on where I'm seeing fish. If I'm not marking any fish, I'll run the setup around 12-15' deep.

The number of fish increased significantly using this setup, although this spring, I have yet to boat a keeper with about 50 rod/hours of fishing in.

One thing that I will say is that experimentation is good. This is a good starting point, but feel free to tailor this. I've been playing around with a few "peculiar" lures. If I nail something with one of my tests, I'll post more on it.

[ 03-16-2004, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: rknh2o ]
Mark Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 04:34 PM   #8
Waterfish
Ifish Nate

Illbfish,

Lance Fisher uses Delta Divers for the herring trolling set up he talked about at the springer clinic, not jet divers.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:32 AM   #9
Old Salty

Hey another method which could be used
is with a Stainless Steel Old Salty Planer.
These Divers wont false trip in the water.
Attatch a fish flash or desired flasher 24in.
off the Planer Blade then 3FT. from that your
herring. The sizes we recomend in the Columbia
is a #3 or the big seller the #4. Which can
be used at Buoy10 this summer and even outside
in the ocean. Come see or site right on Jennies
front pg.
Good Fishin' :smile:
Old Salty
http://www.oldsaltytackle.com
Old Salty is offline   Reply With Quote