Oxbow park closed? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
etacada
Chromer
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sandy, OR
Posts: 600
Default Oxbow park closed?

Hi, read that oxbow park on the sandy is closed. Anybody confirm this?

thanks,

chris

__________________
Get out and FISH!!
etacada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
bigdoggz21
Chromer
 
bigdoggz21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tigard, OR
Posts: 542
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

I can't confirm 100% but I've heard the same thing.
__________________
Work: a dangerous disorder affecting high public functionaries who want to go fishing.
Proud member of the North American Hunting Club
bigdoggz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
alwaysfishing
Sturgeon
 
alwaysfishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CR Troutdale
Posts: 4,134
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

Does anyone have any info on when it will be opening up?
__________________
Team Northriver Shimano Lamiglas
Team Shut Up and Fish
Shortbus Flashers
alwaysfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
lancesite
Steelhead
 
lancesite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: tillamook
Posts: 227
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

Its not closed , I was there yesterday . Some of the trails are closed , but the park was open . Real high water and off color . Not my ideal conditions for fishing , but almost fishable
lancesite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
coyote killer
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: boring oregon
Posts: 399
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

What about Dabney? Are the ever going to clear the sand out and open the boat launch back up? The drift from oxbow to dabney is the best float.
coyote killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
SandySteel
Ifish Nate
 
SandySteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Troutdale and Netarts
Posts: 2,549
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote killer View Post
What about Dabney? Are the ever going to clear the sand out and open the boat launch back up? The drift from oxbow to dabney is the best float.
It is not the sand at this point. Right now the lower turnaround and prep area is full of mud.
__________________
Eric Neiwert
Sandy River Chapter Northwest Steelheaders
SandySteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
ampersat
King Salmon
 
ampersat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: under the hat
Posts: 13,417
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

Oxbow is pretty full of mud too.
__________________
"This community is what it is, because our citizens are who they are." - Plato

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Pyrojake
Chromer
 
Pyrojake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 801
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandySteel View Post
It is not the sand at this point. Right now the lower turnaround and prep area is full of mud.
Yeah probably 6-8 inches of mud i don't know if you'll be able to put in/take out there for awhile.
Pyrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
NorthRiverS
Chromer
 
NorthRiverS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 903
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

Sandy fishers,

I drove by Dabney Park today to see the condition of the boat launch. There appears to be about 8-12 inches of sand in the launch turn around-area. However, there was a Metro Parks truck there and he had a Bobcat plow/scoop rig on the trailor. Looks like he was going to spend some time clearing sand from the ramp........

Good job Metro Parks !

NRS

NorthRiver Pirates"

NorthRiverS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
rainrshine
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: LO
Posts: 1,246
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

The park is OPEN. I'd never been there and was in the area this afternoon so went down to check things out. Only thing was I knew I wasnt going to be able to be there for very long so was turned around by the guy at the check point cause I wasnt going pay $4 to go look at the river. Even after I told the guy all I wanted to do was drive throu the place (as I've never been there before) and look at the river he wouldnt let me in Definatly will stick to my west-side locations
Rainrshine
__________________
* * * Team Time Out * * *
rainrshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
SandySteel
Ifish Nate
 
SandySteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Troutdale and Netarts
Posts: 2,549
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthRiverS View Post
Sandy fishers,

I drove by Dabney Park today to see the condition of the boat launch. There appears to be about 8-12 inches of sand in the launch turn around-area. However, there was a Metro Parks truck there and he had a Bobcat plow/scoop rig on the trailor. Looks like he was going to spend some time clearing sand from the ramp........

Good job Metro Parks !

NRS

NorthRiver Pirates"

Why would metro parks be clearing a state park?
__________________
Eric Neiwert
Sandy River Chapter Northwest Steelheaders
SandySteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
SandySteel
Ifish Nate
 
SandySteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Troutdale and Netarts
Posts: 2,549
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrshine View Post
The park is OPEN. I'd never been there and was in the area this afternoon so went down to check things out. Only thing was I knew I wasnt going to be able to be there for very long so was turned around by the guy at the check point cause I wasnt going pay $4 to go look at the river. Even after I told the guy all I wanted to do was drive throu the place (as I've never been there before) and look at the river he wouldnt let me in Definatly will stick to my west-side locations
Rainrshine
That's too bad. Another strategy would have been to save money in the long run because you know you are coming back or launching at Gleason or Chinook for springers later this year and go ahead and buy a yearly pass from them. But that will depend on your situation.
__________________
Eric Neiwert
Sandy River Chapter Northwest Steelheaders
SandySteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #13
NewToORFishing
Coho
 
NewToORFishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 87
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrshine View Post
The park is OPEN. I'd never been there and was in the area this afternoon so went down to check things out. Only thing was I knew I wasnt going to be able to be there for very long so was turned around by the guy at the check point cause I wasnt going pay $4 to go look at the river. Even after I told the guy all I wanted to do was drive throu the place (as I've never been there before) and look at the river he wouldnt let me in Definatly will stick to my west-side locations
Rainrshine
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I've actually had good experiences there and at Dabney when I asked to drive in and check things out -- both times I told them I just wanted to see what it was like for future reference, and would come back out immediately.

When I asked they were lady rangers (or whatever their title is) and they were really friendly.

At Oxbow I also left my water canteen, and they left me back in after closing time to get it.

It always depends who the person is you're dealing with -- and what type of day they've had, I guess.
NewToORFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #14
rainrshine
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: LO
Posts: 1,246
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandySteel View Post
That's too bad. Another strategy would have been to save money in the long run because you know you are coming back or launching at Gleason or Chinook for springers later this year and go ahead and buy a yearly pass from them. But that will depend on your situation.
Truly not that big of a deal as I was at Barlow HS to watch some wrestling this afternoon and knowing that it was close to the river I decided I'd go take a look at what all the talk about Oxbow and the Sandy was about. I enjoy checking out new places that I normaly wouldn't go to, but if I am in the area I always try to pop in and check things out. Just wasnt worth $4 bucks to me to go check it out.
As far as the pass purchasing goes I have never had to buy one to launch my boat to catch fish. The area that I live has plenty of launch's that do not charge and I am able to do just fine catching a few fish here and there I'm not one of those chase em up and down the river guys. When there in my area I just make the best of it that I can
Rainrshine
__________________
* * * Team Time Out * * *
rainrshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
rainrshine
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: LO
Posts: 1,246
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToORFishing View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I've actually had good experiences there and at Dabney when I asked to drive in and check things out -- both times I told them I just wanted to see what it was like for future reference, and would come back out immediately.

When I asked they were lady rangers (or whatever their title is) and they were really friendly.

At Oxbow I also left my water canteen, and they left me back in after closing time to get it.

It always depends who the person is you're dealing with -- and what type of day they've had, I guess.
Dont get me wrong the guy was nice, I was polite and told him I understood what he was saying. NO big deal really. All I wanted to do was go look at the river. Just something I and alot of others like to do from time to time if they have a few min. I'm one of those guy's that if I was in that booth I would never hesitate to say go rite in check it out. I was totally in civilian cloths, car seat in cab of my truck and firewood in the truck bed. Pretty obvious I wasnt going to be fishing...... O'well. He has a job to do just like the rest of us Enjoy Oxbow EastSiders
Rainrshine
__________________
* * * Team Time Out * * *
rainrshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #16
NewToORFishing
Coho
 
NewToORFishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 87
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrshine View Post
Dont get me wrong the guy was nice, I was polite and told him I understood what he was saying. NO big deal really. All I wanted to do was go look at the river. Just something I and alot of others like to do from time to time if they have a few min. I'm one of those guy's that if I was in that booth I would never hesitate to say go rite in check it out. I was totally in civilian cloths, car seat in cab of my truck and firewood in the truck bed. Pretty obvious I wasnt going to be fishing...... O'well. He has a job to do just like the rest of us Enjoy Oxbow EastSiders
Rainrshine
I'm like you in that respect -- letting them know that I'm just checking it out and will be back in a few -- and know that if I was inside the booth I'd let someone do likewise.

Oxbow does has several good areas to fish, and I like the solitude you get there most of the time -- rarely more than 2 people in the same area as us in a day -- one of the top reasons I like to fish there -- getting away from the snagging, shoulder-to-shoulder crowds I've experienced at the Hatchery area.

I know it is no big deal to you, but it's just the "you're in our neighborhood and didn't have a great experience" kind of feeling when you came to a place I (and others like) that you didn't get to see. It is a nice place -- come back when you have more time, and most of the "gate attendants" will tell you where most people fish.
NewToORFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:01 AM   #17
RiverRogue
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Molalla
Posts: 1,764
Smile Re: Oxbow park closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandySteel View Post
Why would metro parks be clearing a state park?
I believe the statement was in reference to clearing the mud from the launch at Oxbow? Which is a Metro Park. Any signs of mud removal at Dabney?
__________________
Just one more cast...
Salem IAFF Local 314, ret.

Pioneer Chapter OHA
Willamette Falls Chapter CCA
RiverRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
SandySteel
Ifish Nate
 
SandySteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Troutdale and Netarts
Posts: 2,549
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRogue View Post
I believe the statement was in reference to clearing the mud from the launch at Oxbow? Which is a Metro Park. Any signs of mud removal at Dabney?
Granted....
But he did say Dabney and he said drove by. You don't drive by Oxbow. Dabney has been cleared. There is another thread about it.
__________________
Eric Neiwert
Sandy River Chapter Northwest Steelheaders
SandySteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #19
chinookin
Chromer
 
chinookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Redmond
Posts: 669
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

are there many fish in the system? I think I remember reading last year that the fish were going to be all brood stock fish and not come back to river until end of jan. thru march? I am going wednesday and was wondering what my chances are going to be since I am coming from central oregon. Thanks and pm if you want. Mike
chinookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #20
SandySteel
Ifish Nate
 
SandySteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Troutdale and Netarts
Posts: 2,549
Default Re: Oxbow park closed?

The river is in decent shape right now but we are looking at higher temperatures in the coming week. It may go out by then. Not a huge number of fish right now but there are some. In a drift from Oxbow to Dabney I saw two fish caught by Dave Maroon. But it wasn't lights out fishing. I was definitely off of my game today as the high water really messed with what I perceived as being a good run to fish and being able to fish it how I wanted.
__________________
Eric Neiwert
Sandy River Chapter Northwest Steelheaders

Last edited by SandySteel; 01-11-2009 at 06:06 PM.
SandySteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:38 PM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.38480 seconds with 40 queries