IFish Fishing Forum banner

Can a Cast Iron Exhaust Manifold be Welded

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  cptdarel 
#1 ·
I have an older Volvo AQ 125 A - 4cyl with a crack in the exhaust manifold from our old boat. Is cast Iron weldable?? It is a hairline crack leaking raw water about 2-3 inches long. Any help would be great. Thanks - LH

#2 ·
Yes, any welding shop should be able to do it. I've welded turbocharger housings (same deal but usually they get hotter) with similar cracks and have yet to have one fail (now that I say that...I need to find a piece of wood).

I've ground out the crack, heated the part to 500 or so, welded it with high nickel rod, then stuck the part in sand or kitty litter so that it cools s l o w l y. If it cools too fast it will crack. Even putting it back in the oven and slowly turning down the heat works.

That said, are you sure you can't find a replacement part?

#4 ·
hello, dont weld exhaust manifolds they crack on the inside as well as getting way to thin to weld. bad manifolds are engine killers. contact cook engine on hayden island in portland and replace the manifold. anyway manifolds are a wear item and need to be replaced.

#5 ·
I had a shop try and weld my manifold once they pre-heated the entire manifold welded and then slow cooled in a oven. Cost me $100 took it home started studing it a little and there was 100's of small cracks inside exhaust ports. (junk) Went back to weld shop he claimed the cracks already existed. So the new manifold cost me an extra $100. Live and learn. Or in your case start a thread and learn. Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.