IFish Fishing Forum banner

Royal Red Crab

22K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  roosevelt 
#1 · (Edited)
What exactly are they. They are sold at Safeway but when asked, they don't know either. Nothing on google. :shrug: They don't look like any crab I've seen.

#12 ·
Although C. opilio and C. bairdi are discreet species, they are able to crossbreed. In fact, there are specific regions in the Bering See and North Pacific Ocean that contain high numbers of Tanner crab hybrids. The hybrid individuals display a mix of physical traits that are typically attributed to either of the two discreet species.

#17 ·
Whatever this Royal Red crab really is, it's a pet peeve of mine. I read something about it also being from Russian waters as well as South American. A lot of seafood vendors, such as in supermarkets and even retailers who sell seafood exclusively, say they "don't know" why they can't get the big Alaskan King Crab legs anymore. Some try to pass off the Royal Red as the same crab we used to get, and I guess most people believe that. But I know I wasn't dreaming when I used to get the really, super-large Alaskan King Crab legs at stores and restaurants.

I recently bought some very expensive "Alaskan King Crab" legs from a seafood merchant, who swore it was the same thing, but from what I could see, it was just the Royal Red a little bit bigger than the usual sizes I see, which are pretty damn small.

Not too long ago, I read an article that said Japan and China have "an insatiable appetite" for Alaskan King Crab, and it was all being shipped over there. I would provide a link but I don't even know where I saw that article. I don't like having to pay the price for the huge crab legs and just get the little skinny ones.

#20 ·
Asian demand has also caused the price of BC dungeness crabs to skyrocket too. With prices now hitting $21/lb for live crab there is a lot of "buyer resistance" and the retailers are complaining they are having trouble sell the few live crabs that are able to get hold of. East Coast lobsters are now cheaper in BC than crabs...:palm:

#18 ·
Costco used to have King Crab pretty cheap but that was 5-6 years ago.
They don't even carry it now. I'm sure the Asians are getting most of it. Don't you just love the GLOBAL ECONOMY!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.