Micro guides ???? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish!

Old 02-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Skunk Dawg
Steelhead

Default Micro guides ????

Anyone here using a rod with micro guides ? Your thoughts ?

Skunk Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
BrassSlinger
Steelhead

Default Re: Micro guides ????

Saw them for the first time @ wholesale sports the other day. Very interesting concept. Not sure what the advantages/disadvantages are but go ahead and buy one, use it, then get back to us on what you think, I would like to hear what you think!
BrassSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
veilside180sx
Sturgeon

I use them on every rod I can get away with
veilside180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Ryan808
Steelhead

Micro guides weight less which allows you to add more guides resulting in more line to blank contact, all resulting into more sensitivity. The disadvantage is, if not done right (wrapped conventionally) you'll have line rub on the blank. I wrap all my personal rods spiral wrapped with micros, which gives the benefit of having less weight with lighter guides and eliminating line rub.

Last edited by Ryan808; 03-10-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Ryan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
FishForChrome
Steelhead

Kind of a cool idea but have not seen any rods with them yet. Who is using them?
FishForChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
veilside180sx
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishForChrome View Post
Kind of a cool idea but have not seen any rods with them yet. Who is using them?
Almost every bass manufacturer. I don't know of any SS models that use them, that aren't custom.
veilside180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Dane10011
Fry

They are on almost all Ducket rods and Skeet Reese's wright & wcgill rods so they must work pretty good
Dane10011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
CRD4Liberty
Chromer

The smaller micro guides I buy at Angler's are 1/5 to 1/6 the weight of a similar designed #6. 15 or so fit on a dime. Spiral wraps were originally designed back in the early 1900's for reducing the amount of guides needed to build with guides conventionally on top on the long, heavy rods used back than.

Last edited by CRD4Liberty; 03-10-2012 at 05:47 AM.
CRD4Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #9
phil strader
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan808 View Post
Micro guides weight less which allows you to add more guides resulting in more line to blank contact, all resulting into more sensitivity. The disadvantage is, if not done right (wrapped conventionally) you'll have line rub on the blank. I wrap all my personal rods spiral wrapped with micros, which gives the benefit of having less guides and eliminating line rub.
Ryan, are you saying your able to utilize fewer micro guides than conventional guides? There are probably a fair amount of readers here that aren't familiar with "spiral wrapping" or revolver style wrapped rods. you may want to take a minute to explain what it is and the advantages of it. It's a good concept, not seen much anymore...
Old 03-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
Ryan808
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil strader View Post
Ryan, are you saying your able to utilize fewer micro guides than conventional guides? There are probably a fair amount of readers here that aren't familiar with "spiral wrapping" or revolver style wrapped rods. you may want to take a minute to explain what it is and the advantages of it. It's a good concept, not seen much anymore...
I corrected my post, I guess I should have proof read before posting. More guides are used, but still having an end result of less weight. I'll post some pics and try to illustrate when I get back in town.
Ryan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Skunk Dawg
Steelhead

I picked up a Dobyns 733C micro guide. I was looking for a rod to throw scroungers, small swim jigs and skinny dippers and this is it. It's a bit too soon to give an accurate impression but I noticed the rod does not have that tip roll I got from conventional guides when the blank is under a heavy load. I like that. Casting distance was better by about 10 to 15 feet using Yo-Zuri #15 on a Lews Tournamnet Pro. I dinked around with some pitching with this rod using a 6 inch Senko. The line seems to flow through the guides very well and it actually made pitching the Senko easier. Strange but true. I haven't tried braid yet. The guides are Kigan #4 and a knot should have no problem passing through but I want to test that for myself. I would consider picking up another mirco, maybe a Savvy 704. So far I see advantages, not disadvantages.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
phil strader
Steelhead

Theoredically there is less "line whip" through micro guides, therefore less friction, that is why you are seeing longer casts (on conventionally wrapped rods any way)...that and you made an excellent choice in rods!!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #13
bassdad54
Steelhead

I had Ryan808 make me a nice gLoomis 6-6 bait cast rod with the micro eye and I am really liking it.He did the spiral of the eyes.It is a brand new rod and i am getting used to flipping with it an I am already able to double my distance from what I have done with my other rods.just waiting to get the chance to hook into a big bass and see how it feels.Hasnt been broken in on a fish yet
bassdad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #14
Skunk Dawg
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil strader View Post
Theoredically there is less "line whip" through micro guides, therefore less friction, that is why you are seeing longer casts (on conventionally wrapped rods any way)...that and you made an excellent choice in rods!!

Thanks Phil. I have been very pleased with Dobyns quality and service. I should get a 745 Extreme on Wednesday. I'm jazzed about that stick big time. Thank heaven for over time.