IFish Fishing Forum banner

Has anyone tried a double jig setup?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  SalmonSeason 
#1 ·
I was at Sportsman's tonight, and I noticed a new product in the jigs. One of the companies had a jig and a drifter skirt packaged together, and the jig had two eyes on the jighead - one to tie your leader on as usual, and one on the bottom to add a dropper lure like the drifter. Has anyone tried fishing two jigs on a dropper, or tried fishing anything below a jig (bait, small spoon, or another lure)?

I don't know if I'll try this for winter steel because I try to fish the jig just off the bottom, but I may try to rig two jigs for chinook. Seems similar to what we do fly fishing, and it would give you two "strike zones" in deeper holes. Any thoughts? If you were going to try it, how would you attach the lower lure/bait/etc? Would you use a dropper knot (don't know the name) like they use for shrimp flies in the ocean? Or would you tie to the shank of the hook like you do when fly fishing nymphs? Or would you buy the one brand of jigs that has the two eyes, and then put a First Cast jig below it to actually catch the fish? :laugh:

#3 ·
I am a fly fisherman at heart but have recently been dabbling in the black art of spin fishing. Fly fisherman commonly use a two nymph rig with an indicator while fishing. I think the trick to not losing gear and keeping a more natural looking presentation is to tie on the heavier nymph first ("Tool Fly") and then the lighter nymph ("dropper").

I think the same theory applies for the jig/bobber double set-up. Tie on the first jig and then what to do? Don't tie the dropper to the bend of the hook because it will inhibit the jigging motion of the maribu. Tie the dropper as close to the jig eye as possible. The double Eyed jig is great for not inhibiting the motion, but if you have the single eye jig, tie it as high up on the hook shaft as possible. If you don't have the double eye jig putting a lighter drop is also a good idea so you inhibit less the maribu. I have tried double Jig set-ups and only managed to lose more jigs.

The double set-up that works best for me is a jig and then a lighter drop like a glow bug (my go to dropper). :smile:

I hope this helps a little. :dance:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.