IFish Fishing Forum banner

Merwin

121K views 485 replies 122 participants last post by  Flyingfool 
#1 ·
Is the Merwin ramp still open?

#33 ·
Prolly gonna head up there Sat. Even though I should be trying for the elusive spring chinook! But thinking it's still a little early for both but I would rather spend my gas this weekend putting around this magnificent lake! Plus I love catching these little sky dancers! I say that cause MAN they are so unpredictable! I had one jump across my boat last year. If my pole wasn't so long and I knew what it was gonna do, I could have slam dunked it in my ice bucket. Hahaha fun times

#34 · (Edited)
If I don't have to work saturday i will be up there too. Springers can wait.

I just got to do this....

Which is the better way to go? Through Woodland and up the river Or since I live in Orchards head up through Battle Ground? Is the ramp on the upper or lower end of the lake? As you can see I am not a Merwin guy.....Yet....

WZ

#36 ·
Can't wait.

Jzell doesn't know what he's missing.... Sunshine, Cold fresh air, and kokes. Springers will be here and I will kill plenty of em, but I do love the relaxed atmosphere of Merwin.

Bring it!
You mean to tell me I drive past your place on my way up . geeezz have I been missing something... Gr8 place to fish (as long as the wind is nice to ya).

WZ,
You'll need to go down river (left) if you go threw Battle Ground. If your not to far off I-5, I think its a bit better road going to Woodland and up? You can always go up threw Woodland and back the other way and then you'll know...

Good luck fishin! My boat not ready yet or I'd be out fishin!

#40 ·
"Can't wait. Jzell doesn't know what he's missing...."

Oh I know exactly what I'm missing. Better things to chase this time of year. The weather and surroundings can be just as wonderful at the river(s) I'm fishing.

jz

#44 ·
Sounds like an iFish party at Merwin on Saturday!

I'll probably be there Saturday as well, taking my new-to-me boat which I'm picking up tomorrow after work, out for it's inaugural run. 17' alumaweld with a green top and a couple mercs on the back. Swing by and say hello if you see me, or steer well clear of the crazy newbie boat owner.. either is acceptable :) I'd probably go with the latter if i were you actually :wink:

#46 ·
Yeah well it straight blew us off the water! No fish although I bet there were some caught. It started out ok water wasn't too bad, looked promising. Usually right out the gate fish on not this time. Made a good troll, and the WIND came, now I'm just a lil 12 footer! It's not fun in those swelly conditions:) but we had fun! The water looked good, and the sun was nice.

#47 ·
We knew the forecast would be iffy with the wind, but we had to give it a try.

Plus I wanted to try out the hoochies that I have been tying up.

Anyway back to the report. The wind wasn't too bad at 8:30 we managed one good troll with one bite. About 15 minutes later we had a double going, and after one of them came unbuttoned my second rod had a fish on. We were able to land two nice kokanee, and then the wind really started to pick up. We tried one more pass with the wind at our backs but couldn't get the speed down. The wind was blowing us 2.1 knots over the area I wanted to fish.

We decided to pickup and find a quieter spot bot not luck. It was a good day out with no issues to speak of. If mother nature would have cooperated perhaps we could have stayed out longer, but I was happy to get out.

We ended with with 6-7 good bites and two fish aboard. Got back to the ramp and there were quite a few vehicles in the lot. When we arrived we were the only ones there.

John

Attachments

#48 ·
Good job Couve techie! We were like the second there third to launch. It was nice early but then the wind picked up and got hairy! We were running fords with WR tipped with corn and maggs. 2-3 oz. No down rigger. It has been effective. Just not this time. Any suggestions? Honestly it was probably just a location issue. But I was definately not gonna explore in those conditions. Hahaha! I found if we reeled up and jetted it "as fast as my 8 carried me" it wasn't so bad just got the cold COLD cold spray from choppin the swells!

#54 ·
Thanks! We should have gotten a couple more to the boat, but the darn wind. It was hard to keep them on with the wind. We were in the Arima. I switch over to hoochies awhile back and have not turned back since. Location is key and being at the right depth and speed.

Can't wait to get back out there.

VT

#58 ·
I fished Merwin on Sunday the 5th, it was windy until about noon & then started to slow down, by 3 it wasnt to bad. In the morning we went near the dam to get into less wind. We ran 4 poles all day and ended up with 10, the largest going 12". It was like fishing Yale Lake but much slower! I talked with a few people in other boats and it was about the same for them.
It was a fun day fishing with good friends, Joel, Paul & Doug!

Kokonuts

#59 ·
We fished Saturday and Sunday. 16 foot maroon Weldcraft with a maroon top. We saw "Pappa Smurf" and another boat or two that looked familiar, but dont really know anyone so just waved.

We fished Saturday from about 10:30 to 4:30 for 8 fish.
Started up above the launch not wanting to buck the wind but at about noon we gave up and ran down the lake to the sort of bay on the south side with the road down to the water and the rope swing. Caught all our fish there.

Sunday we hit the water at the same time and fished till 2:30 for 11 fish. Same area.

Wind was fun at times. Had to troll with the wind and this weekend was the first time I had to run the trolling motor in reverse to slow the boat.

Pretty well all the fish came on pink UV hoochies behind SEPS Dodgers. 40 feet behind the cable and 10 to 12 feet down on the riggers. Using my own flavor of corn (I'll do a tutorial).

The fish were schooled up nice about from the surface to 20 feet down but you couldnt stay with them. We'd drag through and catch a few and then try and pick up and run back up for another drag. Sometimes we'd hit again, most times not.

#61 ·
Fished Merwin solo Sunday morning, 1-12-12, arriving at the launch at about 8:00 AM
Launched and motored down the south side of the reservoir to the bay just before rounding the point leading down to the dam.
Set up both poles with RMT dodgers and mini squid with Gulp maggots and a salmon egg on each of the tandem hooks. Sent the offerings down to only 12-15 feet on the riggers.
Trolling down hill (westward) at 1.2 mph.
Found a pod of fish and marked them on the gps and made multiple passes until limiting within 2 hours.
Fish were in good shape, obviously eating well, and ran between 11-14 inches

#62 ·
How is the population of Tiger Musky these days and how are people normally targeting them?

I have been fascinated by Musky for 30 years. I dont see myself getting to the midwest anytime soon so this hybrid version is my only shot for the foreseeable future.

My preference it to target them with a fly....

#68 ·
You target them with a fly like you would bass with a fly. Shallow water structure, as big a fly as you can pitch. I mean it. A 10" fly with three hooks would not be too big. Electric bowmount is the only way to do it proper. You'll figure out pretty quickly what works and what doesn't. Get the DVD Musky Country Zero2Hero for ideas. Most fun fishing video I have ever watched. If you ever do get to the midwest, you could do a lot worse than fishing with those guys...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.