Merwin

121K views 485 replies 122 participants last post by  Flyingfool 
#1 ·
Is the Merwin ramp still open?

#6 ·
Don't give me an opening,

jz

#12 ·
Kokonuts will be with me and my son, we will be leaving from LMCH launch shortly after daylight. Tried to post a pic of the boat but it wont let me, green Pro Sport (Duckworth) with green top. Lamiglas stickers on the side windows, plan on staying in the upper part of the lake somewhere. Swing along side and say hi!

#15 ·
Re: Merwin--Jan 1st.

My Daddy used to say, " You cant fish everyday Unless you fish on Jan. 1st." So I wont get to fish every day BUT we did fish on Jan 1st. at Lake Merwin!
We hit the water about 8:00 and the 1-2 ft waves the east wind was blowing up!! That was in the LMCH Marina! It was almost impossible to hold the boat on any sort of course with the bow was crashing thru the waves and water was flying OVER the top of the canopy as soon as we hit the main part of the lake. Scott did a great job of it while his son Shawn & I held on! First we tried the the North side thinking it would be a little better but that didnt happen so we came back up and over to the south side below LMCH that was a little better but still no fish although we were marking large schools on both sides. The fish seemed to be up near the surface and down to 30'. We tried using the Dr's but 8lb weights had too much blowback and no controll with them. We switched over to lead core line with 2 - 3 colors out and Shawn finally got a nice 13" koke in the boat! Scott said we should go old school with the lead core line and red wedding rings which did the job. We stayed out untill 1 or 1:30 but no more action!

We did see 1 other boat out , it was a 16ft Hewes with white sides but when we talked or was it yelling I didnt catch his name. He was by himself & so wasnt able to fish & control his boat at the sme time! He did give it a great try though!

It was a lot of funn & I got some great pictures of the water going over the boat & of course Shawns Fish. I still havt been able to post them But I will give it another try!
I will be going out again soon the fish are there and we just need a little better weather!

JZELL, I hope you had a good time in front of the TV!! :food:

Kokonuts....:laugh:

#20 ·
Re: Merwin--Jan 1st.

My Daddy used to say, " You cant fish everyday Unless you fish on Jan. 1st." So I wont get to fish every day BUT we did fish on Jan 1st. at Lake Merwin!
We hit the water about 8:00 and the 1-2 ft waves the east wind was blowing up!! That was in the LMCH Marina! It was almost impossible to hold the boat on any sort of course with the bow was crashing thru the waves and water was flying OVER the top of the canopy as soon as we hit the main part of the lake. Scott did a great job of it while his son Shawn & I held on! First we tried the the North side thinking it would be a little better but that didnt happen so we came back up and over to the south side below LMCH that was a little better but still no fish although we were marking large schools on both sides. The fish seemed to be up near the surface and down to 30'. We tried using the Dr's but 8lb weights had too much blowback and no controll with them. We switched over to lead core line with 2 - 3 colors out and Shawn finally got a nice 13" koke in the boat! Scott said we should go old school with the lead core line and red wedding rings which did the job. We stayed out untill 1 or 1:30 but no more action!

We did see 1 other boat out , it was a 16ft Hewes with white sides but when we talked or was it yelling I didnt catch his name. He was by himself & so wasnt able to fish & control his boat at the sme time! He did give it a great try though!

It was a lot of funn & I got some great pictures of the water going over the boat & of course Shawns Fish. I still havt been able to post them But I will give it another try!
I will be going out again soon the fish are there and we just need a little better weather!

JZELL, I hope you had a good time in front of the TV!! :food:

Kokonuts....:laugh:
Hi Kokonuts,
Just read your post about fishing at Merwin. I've met you before so I thought I might pump you for a little koke info. Buddy and myself are koke heads too so we're wanting to fish outsdide of Oregon and Washington for them. Have you any fist hand experience in fishing in California or at Faming Gorge? Thanks for the help buddy. Ron

#16 · (Edited)
It was definitely an experience! The other boat we talked to first thing in the AM was OneDogShort from KFF. Just imagine Deadliest Catch only smaller water and smaller boat! If we could have fished where we waned to I have a feeling we would have had better luck, but unfortunately it was just a little too much, when the bow started going underwater and the prop was out of the water I figured it was time to throw in the towel and find calmer waters. Those that didn't go......you didn't miss much!! Although we still had a good time. :crazy:

#17 ·
"JZELL, I hope you had a good time in front of the TV!!"

Nope. Got back from a week in NOLA Saturday, so went into the office Sunday to catch up on emails and work on some year end accounting.....while you were fightin' the wind and waves.

jz

#22 ·
Fished Flaming Gorge for many years when we lived in Wyoming. They're jigging under the ice this time of year for them. That place will ruin you. Most fish run 3+ lbs. They'll rip the line from your downrigger and hit the surface before you get the slack out. July/August would be my time choice. They seem to run a bit bigger in the Wyo end of the res, but you can't beat Utah side for scenery.

#25 ·
Left the dock yesterday morning at 0900 and was the first boat on the lake. Two others were arriving as we were motoring out. Not a breath of wind, clear, sunny skies. Two of us had a combined 25 fish on (three doubles), half of them came off the hook, six made it to the cooler and the remainder set free due to small size. Our keepers were 12-13". Long lining small Sepps chrome or watermelon dodgers with small pink hootchies on 6" leaders with 75' of line out turned out to be the magic for the day. I've never fished for Kokes this early in the year but on such a spectacular weather day it worked well. Fresh kokes on the barbie!!

#28 ·
Launched from Speelyai on Saturday about 8:45 am. Four fisherman surface trolled Ford fenders and Gang o trolls with pink, orange, and green lures. Lures were tipped with shoepeg corn or Gulp maggots. No strikes. Not many hits on the Fish Finder either. Tried several locations all the down to the dam. Quit at 11:30 as cold rain came poring in. Talked with two other boaters who had about the same success as we did.

#30 ·
Hello all I am new here to ifish. I have really enjoyed what I have read and seen here so far. I have only been on merwin once about 25 years ago. I plan on changing that soon. A good friend of mine fishes there quite often. he usually goes out later in spring but if we can make it we are going to head up there this weekend. I am eager to get out on the water, any water!! I plan my of my trips around My place at Ocean Park but Merwin is a whole lot closer to home. I live in Orchards area. I hope to see some of you up there soon. I am new to kokanee but I am a life time fisherman

Weldzilla

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.