IFish Fishing Forum banner

What food do you take on your boat?

65K views 50 replies 49 participants last post by  SeahawkGirl 
#1 ·
I'm getting tired of the same old bread and meat sandwiches we normally grab at the last minute before heading out on a two or three day fishing trip. I don't know about you, but it gets hard coming up with ideas when planning a trip. I'm thinking more about gear and strategy than food...until I'm in the boat, hungry and minimum 6 miles from the nearest source of cheeseburgers.

What food do you take?

Say you're heading for Buoy 10, out all day trolling, can't really cook and want to eat. It's gotta be easy to eat so no cooking on board. You are leaving before breakfast and staying out till after lunch. What's in the pic-i-nic basket?

Ok, now you're anchoring for upriver brights or springers. You've got a stove and can make things like corned beef hash and eggs, rice-a-roni and eggs (a favorite) for breakfast on the boat. Lunch needs to be easy.

Besides the main course, what snacks do you take? Nuts? Salsa & chips?

Your ideas would be appreciated. :smile:

#2 ·
I always bring two dry sandwiches per person Turkey And provalone. Roast beast and swiss then pack mayo and mustard so the sandwich doesn't turn to mush. Also bring stand chips and dip doritos and at least 1 bag of candy ether soft or hard some folks won't eat if there caghtcin fish. Cooler always has mixed soda pop so all can be happy and a gallon of water. Oh this is for a one day trip during spring summer. Winter it Hot cill already cooked in a hot soup theroms with french bread already buttered and drinks are same plus coffe at least a 1/2 gallon wife comes we bring hot tea as well. For over nite we do quick food Breakfast sndwiches precooked so you just heat and serve. Canned soups no water added so its a heat and serve. ETC. Oh I bring the food whan I get a free seat. Just in case you were wondering! :angel:

#3 ·
I always keep a bag of Costco Trail mix in the boat. It will stay fresh for the whole year if it lasts that long!

Crackers and cheese, rice crispy treats, etc from costco also will stay fresh in packages for a year or more.

Not many options when your trolling in combat situations... We always grab sandwiches from the Guide shop when fishing Tillamook Bay. For some reason they always hit the spot after hours of trolling.

My buddy always brings Taco Bell. They taste pretty good even cold out in the boat.

Jfool

#4 ·
I'm getting tired of the same old bread and meat sandwiches we normally grab at the last minute before heading out
Man, I hear ya there for sure. In the winter it is a must to have a Thermos of coffee and one of chicken broth.

I've got to try something different as well. I would like to hace a small grill on the boat but I'm not sure if my Dad would go for that. :depressed:

#5 ·
Push for the grill. We got my cousin a swing out grill for his North River and I finally tried it out. I did a marinated pork tenderloin and spicy shrimp skewers and they turned out great. Even in the wind up in the Gorge that thing did pretty well and it really does beat the old sandwich and chips routine. Ribeyes and marinated peppers are next on the docket so even if the fishing is slow the steaks will be sizzling.

Rod Ross

#6 ·
An easy, hot lunch: Hotdogs. Condiments (pickles, pickle relish, onions, etc) in ziplock bags. Squeeze mayo, ketchup, and mustard. In a wide-mouth thermos, put the dogs and then pour boiling water over them. Screw down the lid. Pack the buns individualy wrapped in paper towels (built in napkin) into a gallon size ziplock. Assemble when you're hungry.

#7 ·
grill up some chicken the night before and add mayo, celery, onions, black olives and make cold fajita wraps....also, I have a big mouth thermos and I boil some hot dogs and put them in there with the hot water. bring some buns and mustard and Lays potato chips and you'd be syurprised what a gourmet meal this can taste like when it's cold and wet out all day on the boat...a cold bucket of KFC is always good too

#8 ·
Just order Domino's, don't they deliver? If your up river maybe have them deliver to a neaby boat launch. :idea: If out at B-10 how bout fresh "Sushi"?

#9 ·
Burritos. These can be made in either breakfast or lunch/dinner varieties. Wrap in waxed paper then in foil. Make large batches and freeze them for a grab-n-go meal any time. Once thawed, place on engine block and heat at 30kts for 30 minutes in boat or 55mph for 1 hour on diesel truck engine. :grin: (timing for other heat sources may vary)

Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired.

#11 ·
Tom and Travis Howard of TH Rods cook a mean Rogue River breakfast.

Tom cooks on a small gas stove elk steak, eggs and potatoes. It is sooooooo good. The smell makes all the other anchored boats very jealous. :dance:

The scenery and the food are awesome. I don't know what would happen if we hooked a fish while Tom is cooking!!!

#12 ·
Steve I have found that cold PIzza, spagetti, or even a can of raviolies are a great change from the typical. Chunks of smoked salmon and cream cheeseand pineapple mix with crackers is great. Cold ham and eggs sandwiches with a little salsa. Cold chinese food yummy! I hear there are even tv dinners now that have a heat pack with them that are decent.

Far as sitting on a hook though you can't beat BBQing burgers, chops or steak. :dance: Sure ticks off the neighboring boats though. :grin:

#13 ·
Same thing I use for elk/deer camp -
MTN House premade foods.
MY fav is the lasagne with meat!
Just add some boiling water water for a few min and enjoy. clean up is simple and in a pinch they have their own cooker for 2.50 each. Simple to throw into the backpack and they taste great!
I guess elk hunting 10 miles from nowhere, a handful of sticks would taste good at times. :cheers:

#15 ·
My buddy scott (Plum Crazy) turned me onto this: we would drift the clack in his drift boat,He used an old large metal christmas tree stand to hold briguettes and a cast iron dutch oven w/lid, as soon as we got on the water he would get the briquittes going and heat up whatever was in the oven (stew, chili,jambalaya, whatever)Bisquits were wrapped in tin foil and placed on the lid of the dutch oven to warm all morning while we fished. About 1PM, everything would be ready, throw out the anchor and have lunch in the middle of the river, All the bouncing around never bothered that christmas tree stand a bit. I'll be doing this this winter sturgeon fishing in the bow of the Duckworth. :cheers:

#16 ·
When my fishing buddy brings the kids fishing, he brings a roll of cookie dough, a small cookie sheet and breaks out the propane heater, turns the heater pointing up and sets the cookie sheet on the heater. Places the cookie dough on the sheet and makes a aluminum foil tent over the cookie sheet and in a short time, fresh cookies on the river.

#17 ·
Being a very diet and health conscience person, here's some suggestions that I enjoy, and I hope you will too.

For cold snacks: 1. A couple of sticks of Calabrese hot salame, made by the Columbus Salame Company. Has only 120 calories and 90 calories of fat per 1 oz serving.

2. A couple of big bags of "Ripple" potato chips, (forget those cardboardy baked, or low fat critters)! Bring one container of real sour cream clam dip, and one of onion dip.

3. A big bag of either homemade, or good bakery chocolate chip cookies. Allow at least one dozen per person. We don't want anyone slighted here!

For the main course a big pot of homemade chili, made with plenty of 20% fat course ground beef, plenty of jalapeno peppers and onions, and a ton of pregrated chedder cheese to dump on top after you preheat it. Bring along a loaf of corn bread for dipping. :dance: :yay: :dance:

Friends have suggested that I bring a new defibrillator on board with lunch. But heck, the one I have is only three years old, and shows the fish and bottom structure just fine!

#18 ·
Is I am on a pontoon it would be a challenge to heat up the food. Always a tuna fish sandwich (right?) Peanut butter/jelly. Snacks a bunch!!! My wife always makes some great cookies or brownies (Awesome goodies!!) Lots of fruit and lots of juices. I put the ice in a cooler and off I go. I like the idea of having a delivery person with hot food. Will just have to put up with the sandwiches I guess.

#23 ·
Cold Pizza
California Rolls
Fried Chicken
Home Canned Tuna with Cheese and Crackers
Smoked Salmon
Jerky
BBQ'd meat/ribs pre sliced in chunks
Donuts (Most stores sell the day olds late at night or early AM for cheap)
Pork rinds
Fishing hungry is no fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.